Pages

Gastric Sleeve Sandy Saturday 17 April 2010

Yesterday I saw Dr Shane Pascoe at Novacastrian Psychology. He was lovely. How nice is it to have someone look you directly in the eyes and ask you all about yourself. I wonder how they appear so interested? My mind would wander hearing about people's crap day in and day out...I'm not a good listener at all.

My appointment took about 1hr 30min and he'd like to see me again. I found it almost fun. It's not often that someone is interested in hearing what you have to say even if you are paying them $200. He asked lots of questions about family, body image, relationships. I was quite frank and found the whole experience a little confronting but he's had me thinking all afternoon. He kept asking over and over "what do you like about your body" and I kept saying, "nothing from the the neck down". I don't know what he was getting at, I said I like my face as it's my face and familiar, I said I like my hair...it's thick but I would like it to grow slower and be less thick but I was clutching at straws.

He kept wanting to pursue my poor body image but then I don't know whether his issue is that I had poor body image or that I thought my husband was part of a major deception calling me beautiful when he MUST see the obviously fat cow that I am and is lying through his teeth. That was weird. He said, "so you think that noone over a BMI of 40 can feel beautiful." I didn't say that at all, I said that I don't feel beautiful at a BMI of 41.7. I still think I'm thin sometimes and get a shock when I see a photo and realise I'm not. I told him that I like that I'm intelligent, I like that I can sing but he kept getting back the body. Why would anyone consider weight loss surgery if they liked their body? Seems kind of silly, doesn't it?

He see's a lot of anorexics/bulimics and was interested in my past laxative abuse, not to mention other less than desirable weight control methods, but I didn't want to get too far into everything in case he committed me. He said I was a good candidate for the surgery and would like to continue seeing me after the operation to work on my body image.

Anyway, that's out of the way. Next appointment back with the surgeon on the 27th April to make a surgery date.

I also went to HCF to claim and they will not pay unless you are referred my your GP and exhaust medicare rebates first. Damn.

0 comments: